Corpus Christi sits on the Gulf of Mexico in Texas and boasts a warm and humid climate ideal for spending time outdoors and making the most of the many beaches in and around the city.
Alongside stunning ocean views and the hustle and bustle of the city, there are plenty of activities to get stuck into whilst visiting Corpus Christi, this truly is a city that has a lot to offer.
Attractions In Corpus Christi
Whether you are looking for a tranquil walk on the beach or something a little more adventurous, Corpus Christi is not short on things to see and do. Many of the attractions are ideal for both family getaways and adult-only vacations making this one of the most versatile cities in the state.
Located just off the coast of Corpus Christi, Padre Island is home to the seas turtles for which is it renowned. One of the largest barrier islands in the region, Padre Island offers glorious white sandy beaches perfect for a relaxing afternoon and plenty of beautiful swimming spots.
For history lovers, this magnificent naval aircraft carrier is an interesting and educational attraction of the city. Featuring a museum and some incredible full-sized aircraft, USS Lexington gives an excellent insight into American history.
If you are travelling with children, a waterpark is sure to be a hit and Hurricane Alley in Corpus Christi certainly has plenty to keep them entertained. The park houses lots of rides and water slides as well as plenty of swimming areas but most notably features regular events including Sensory Sunday and Movie Monday giving you something new to experience with every visit.
Boasting some impressive waves, Whitecap beach is the ideal spot to enjoy an afternoon of surfing. After having fun on the waves, you might choose to relax and take in the breath-taking seascapes or you may prefer to head to one of the nearby eateries for a tasty treat.
This isn’t just any old museum, if you are looking for an educational visit that will provide lots of stimulation then this is it. Featuring live theatre, hundreds of artefacts and even a real-life shipwreck, the museum of science and history is one of the most well-loved attractions in Corpus Christi.
For anyone looking to get back to nature whilst in Corpus Christi, the botanical gardens offer the ideal solution. Spread over an impressive 180-acre site, the gardens and nature center is home to a variety of plants and flowers including more than 3000 orchids.
The nature trail, which is located within a brush area covering 30 acres is home to many trees and plants as well as deer, coyotes and other wildlife species.
Tips For Saving Money While On Vacation in Corpus Christi
We know that heading off on your annual vacation can be very unkind on your wallet but there are some things you can do to lower the cost and still have a great time.
- If you are travelling by air, reducing your luggage can be the difference between a very expensive trip and a more financially manageable one. Look for accommodation that has clothes washing facilities such as an AirBnB or a hotel with a laundry. This will enable you to pack lighter and avoid hefty luggage fees.
- Make the most of free activities. The beaches in Corpus Christi offer a fun-filled day out for nothing at all. Whilst it is great to spend money and time on paid activities, the world has so many beautiful outdoor spaces that cost next to nothing to enjoy.
- If you are going to buy souvenirs, do so at the end of your vacation. Firstly, you will have a better idea of how much of your budget is left and what’s more, you’ll have had the chance to look around and get the best deal during your stay.
- Try not to eat out for every meal. Aiming to eat one meal a day in your hotel room can save a lot of your hard-earned cash. According to BudgetYourTrip, a meal out in Texas costs on average $12 per person, that’s not taking drinks, desserts and any other extras into consideration. Purchasing a pre-made sandwich from the grocery store at lunchtime can potentially save a small fortune.
- Keep an eye out online for vouchers that will give you a discount on popular attractions.
- Where possible, move around the city on foot rather than spending money on buses, taxis and trains. There may be times where a vehicle is necessary but if you can walk, do!
Tips For A Romantic Weekend
If you and your partner are looking for a great romantic weekend in Corpus Christi, we have some excellent tips to get the most out of your time there.
- Why not take a romantic horseback ride along the beach at sunset? This is one of the most popular romantic activities in the area.
- For the outdoorsy couple, camping on Padre Island is the perfect romantic weekend retreat.
- Don’t shy away from something a little more luxurious than usual. This quality time with your significant other is special and doing something fancy or flashy is a treat you can allow yourself – how about a meal in a fine restaurant or a room in a top-class hotel.
Tips For A Family Week Away
Making memories with the family on a week-long getaway is one of the great pleasure in life. To make the vacation run even more smoothly, we have a few ideas.
- Give yourself time for each activity. This is especially important for families with younger children who may require longer to eat, complete tasks or walk from one place to another. Often times, parents can get stressed when trying to cram everything into a vacation but it is preferable to do fewer things and enjoy them than do everything and have memories of disaster.
- Take advantage of the outside space that Corpus Christi has to offer. Kids, as you know, can have just as much, if not more fun running along the beach or kicking a ball in the park as they can at an organised event.
- Plan your itinerary carefully, you will likely have a good idea of the things you want to see and do so allocating activities to a certain day can go a long way in ensuring there is always something to do. What’s more, you can be sure you don’t double book any activities that you purchase tickets or passes for.
- Be sure to carry plenty of snacks and drinks while you are out and about. This will eliminate the need to keep spending money every time someone announces that they are hungry or thirsty.